[Kde-games-devel] Re: The Oware Wizard

Mathieu Jobin somekool at somekool.net
Wed Feb 16 19:12:07 CET 2005

small suggestion, you probably already plan it, i just want to make
sure you did.
you dont have to fork your code, just do some #ifdef KDE, so you still
have one source compilable from everywhere...

just my 1cent and a quart.

Mathieu

On Feb 16, 2005, at 6:41 AM, michaelcollins at ivorycity.com wrote:

> Andi,
>
> Thank you very much for the feedback!
>
> I added a menubar as per your suggestions and am working on making the
> KDE
> changes. I will release a separate version specially for KDE and mirror
> the additions to the 'Qt' only version for people who might want to
> run on
> MS or other.
>
> I like your idea about the key-to-cup shortcuts. I'm going to add that.
> Thanks!
>
> Michael
>
>> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 20:01, michaelcollins at ivorycity.com
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>
>> Hi
>>
>>> I've recently released my Oware game, The Oware Wizard, under the GPL
>>> and
>>> I'm interested in distributing it along with KDE-Games.
>>>
>>> Here's the The Oware Wizard url:
>>> http://oware.ivorycity.com
>> [...]
>>> Please consider adding The Oware Wizard to the KDE-Games
>>> distribution. I
>>> think it would be a unique and welcome addition to the already very
>>> high-quality KDE-Games package.
>>
>> I have just had a chance to have a look at it (sorry it took so long,
>> but
>> I am
>> extremely busy these days).
>> It's a nice game, I like it and I think it'd be a great contribution
>> the
>> kdegames package.
>> However since it is Qt only currently, I guess you have quite some
>> work
>> left,
>>
>> At an absolute minimum you should port the code to use i18n() for text
>> that is
>> displayed to the user, so that it can be translated.
>>
>> The game doesn't have a menu bar and I guess it's your decision if you
>> want to
>> leave it like that. If you ever want to add one, use KAction for this
>> right
>> from the start instead of QMenuItem based code.
>> However you use QToolBar for the New/Quit/... buttons. I am not sure
>> if
>> KAction would be intended to be used like this, but I would recommend
>> that
>> you try it for these 5 buttons, as you would gain shortcuts for free
>> by
>> doing
>> so. Otherwise you will need to have separated code for shortcuts
>> (which
>> are
>> currently missing).
>>
>> While you are on it, it may be a good idea to add shortcuts for the 6
>> cups
>> as
>> well. Could be done by code like this
>> new KAction( i18n("Sow cup 1"), Qt::Key_1, this, SLOT(sowCup1()),
>> actionCollection(), "sow_cup_1");
> [...]
Mathieu Jobin
Ubertor Inc.
The business of Real Estate made easy! TM
www.ubertor.com
email: mathieu at ubertor.com

Direct Line: 604-639-4242
Switchboard: 604-264-1999
Toll Free Phone: 1-800-209-2416

Fax: 604-608-3418
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-689-4920
This email is confidential and may contain privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately
by telephoning 1-800-209-2416.