[Kde-games-devel] Re: REKO cardsets for KDE cardgames?

blachner at gmx.de blachner at gmx.de
Thu Jun 12 21:28:05 CEST 2003

Some comments on your thoughts:

> 1. There is one more thing to consider: The REKO cardformat
> is a bit awkward, as it is mainly based on the old Amiga with
> its HAM (Hold and modify - new color depends on last) (4096 color) coding.

Yes many cardsets are in HAM format, but there is also a PC REKO format,
called RKP8
and RKP16. (8 and 16Bit)

> 2. I am not fully sure whether it is necessary to support old file
> formats.
> Of course it depends how widely it is used in the world outside KDE?
> Does everybody use it? If yes a support might be nice.

It is realy a old format? As I said there is also a PC format and there are
also windows
games. For example look at http://home.arcor.de/amigasolitaire/ Not
everybody use it,
but there are many cardsets available.

> 3. However, we should not outright recejct the idea of making the
> kcarddialog
> more flexible. Directly returning images might be a nice option.
> Especially,
> if it would be possible to have either the filename or the image (probably

> not possible with REKO).

O.K. What do the authors of the card games thought on this point?

> 4. It is also not totally stupid to optionally pack all images in a zip,
> reko, tar or whatever
> file format.

Hmm. But there are many REKO cardsets available. Look at
http://go.to/rekonet I think it
is not a good idea too pack them in one zip file.

> 5. Also, an extended kcarddialog could tackle a long term problem which we

> might
> run into with the current KDE cards, i.e. they are fixed size. In future
> it
> might
> be useful to have a scalable or at least small,medium big carddecks or so.

Yes. Maybe OPIE can use parts of this for card games on PDAs.

> 6. As I already pointed out in another posting:
> a) This discussion took already part last year, resulting
> in rejecting REKO [some argued especially against the large amount of
> questionable pictures
> in REKO cardsets, although this probably could increase popularity] and
I didn't found the discussion in the mailing list archive.

> b) a QT converter which installs REKO cardsets into KDE as lots of PNG
> files does exist already.

Where is this converter available?

blachner at gmx.de