[Kde-games-devel] Re: REKO cardsets for KDE cardgames?

Martin Heni martin at heni-online.de
Thu Jun 12 20:34:53 CEST 2003

A collection of thoughts when reading the postings about REKO -
not very organised thoughts, though... ;-)

1. There is one more thing to consider: The REKO cardformat
is a bit awkward, as it is mainly based on the old Amiga with
its HAM (Hold and modify - new color depends on last) (4096 color) coding.

2. I am not fully sure whether it is necessary to support old file formats.
Of course it depends how widely it is used in the world outside KDE?
Does everybody use it? If yes a support might be nice.

3. However, we should not outright recejct the idea of making the kcarddialog
more flexible. Directly returning images might be a nice option. Especially,
if it would be possible to have either the filename or the image (probably
not possible with REKO).

4. It is also not totally stupid to optionally pack all images in a zip,
reko, tar or whatever
file format.

5. Also, an extended kcarddialog could tackle a long term problem which we
might
run into with the current KDE cards, i.e. they are fixed size. In future it
might
be useful to have a scalable or at least small,medium big carddecks or so.

6. As I already pointed out in another posting:
a) This discussion took already part last year, resulting
in rejecting REKO [some argued especially against the large amount of
questionable pictures
in REKO cardsets, although this probably could increase popularity] and
b) a QT converter which installs REKO cardsets into KDE as lots of PNG
files does exist already.