[Kde-games-devel] kbackgammon and RepBot

Nicolai Lissner nlissne at linux01.gwdg.de
Sun Aug 10 01:15:53 CEST 2003

Rob wrote:
> Right, it all looked a bit weird when I saw the patch, but makes sense if
> those are the only actual commands available for RepBot. Will have to look
> at that patch again. :-)

well, actually there is one command left -
it's "tell RepBot alert [on|off]"

It would activate/deactivate to receive a msg from RepBot message, when a
player, with whom the user have a saved game, would login.

but

a) this command does not contain the name of a player
    it's more general -- for that reason I wouldn't put it in the
    playerlist-menu -- maybe a better place would be in preferences... but:

b) RepBot does not use a failsafe method to find saved games. It uses a
webpage on fibs.com to find them - but the page is only updated once a day.
So it alerts you even if you have just resumed and finished that game.

So,
I think this would be more useful to integrate directly into the client
instead of asking RepBot -> one of the features on my todo-list :)
The only reason why this exists in RepBot is to help FIBS-clients that cannot
be changed by users to do it on their own -- but IMO an open source client
should not use the "alert"-command of RepBot.

---
... meanwhile I have learned about cvs usage - just to find out: after all
there was not much to learn about it. :-) It was harder to setup a local cvsd
for practice with cvs than to use cvs itself. But I still have to learn more
about KDE and policy.

Nicolai