Naming and labeling

Tobias C. Berner tcberner at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 6 20:30:31 UTC 2016

Moin moin

On 6 September 2016 at 11:03, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> We name and label lots of software artifacts in the KDE-FreeBSD ports.
> Those
> names are often visible to the user. There are conventions used to name
> things
> to help indicate something about them:
>
>  - Ports that use kdelibs4 and/or the KDE4 platform, are often found in
> directories named *-kde4
>  - Those ports often have PORTNAME set, to just * (without the -kde4) and
> PKGNAMESUFFIX set to -kde4

That seems sensible, also the DISTFILES magic works then and does not
require it to be manually set.

>  - Ports that use KDE Frameworks 5 as a platform are often found in
> directories named *-kf5
>  - Those ports often have PORTNAME set, to just * (without the -kf5) and
> PKGNAMESUFFIX set to -kf5

The rule however should probably be to avoid these suffixes whenever
possible,
unless we do the thing for another thread you mention below...

The COMMENT in a port, regardless, should refer to KDE (not KDE4, not KDE
> SC,
> not KDE5). But applications shouldn't necessarily say they are "for KDE";
> it
> is more about the functionality

If the port is part of the KDE Applications release cycle, I think "KDE"
can stay.
I think gnome's applications do also carry a "GNOME" in their COMMENT from
a quick grep.
But I agree, that it should not carry a version in general.

Generally speaking, we won't have a -kf5 *and* a -kde4 version of a single
> port (that's a discussion for another thread).

Which we need to have before we can think of updating KDE Applications in
ports
to anything even nearly recent.

> Does this make sense as a general description of how we name ports and
> packages? (If so, it should go into our area51 developer bits on techbase
> or
> on our site).

maybe also on the FreeBSD wiki? https://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE as a new item
under "Team best practices"? Just to give you more options to think about ^^
But as always, do what you think fits best :)

> [ade]

mfg Tobias