Naming and labeling

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 09:03:37 UTC 2016

We name and label lots of software artifacts in the KDE-FreeBSD ports. Those
names are often visible to the user. There are conventions used to name things
to help indicate something about them:

 - Ports that use kdelibs4 and/or the KDE4 platform, are often found in
directories named *-kde4
 - Those ports often have PORTNAME set, to just * (without the -kde4) and
PKGNAMESUFFIX set to -kde4

 - Ports that use KDE Frameworks 5 as a platform are often found in
directories named *-kf5
 - Those ports often have PORTNAME set, to just * (without the -kf5) and
PKGNAMESUFFIX set to -kf5

The COMMENT in a port, regardless, should refer to KDE (not KDE4, not KDE SC,
not KDE5). But applications shouldn't necessarily say they are "for KDE"; it
is more about the functionality

Generally speaking, we won't have a -kf5 *and* a -kde4 version of a single
port (that's a discussion for another thread).

Does this make sense as a general description of how we name ports and
packages? (If so, it should go into our area51 developer bits on techbase or
on our site).

[ade]