[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Jul 9 04:36:01 UTC 2012

Em Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:36:07 -0500
Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com> escreveu:

> On 2012-07-05 13:54, joaoBR wrote:
> > Em Thu, 05 Jul 2012 13:16:46 -0500
> > Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com> escreveu:

> >> as

> >> radeonhd,

> >> so
> >>
> >> I had no problems with this upgrade.  I do not use kdepim and have
> >> an
> >> nvidia card.  I have had worse upgrade experiences but had no
> >> issues this round.
> >>
> >> I can only assume at this time that you are either not using
> >> default options or this is because the radeon card is not well
> >> support on FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> Rusty
> >

> > well, I do not believe that the problem is the driver because dri
> > and opengl is available, KDE is not being able to use it ...
> >
> > $ glxinfo
> > ..
> > direct rendering: Yes
> > ..
> > OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
> > OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
> > OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.6.1
> > OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
> >

> > Since I have not so much insight, I do not know if it matters but
> > while
> > compiling workspace I saw a string about it not being able to find
> > openGL
> >
> > I have nothing special and it was working before 4.8.4 on the same
> > hardware
>
> Well, unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to help out
> too much on the radeon side of things.  Regarding ports, if you can
> let me know any non standard configs you have for them, I can try to
> reproduce what you have over here, possible in a VM to reproduce 32
> bit since I run 64bit here.

I you are interested ...

the problem is not Xorg, it is kwin/kworkspace, seems part of compiz had
made it into it, at least the xorg.conf requirements are now the same

in xorg config I had only

DefaultDepth 24

seems explicit to set Depth 24 in the subsection

Option Xinerama can not be present anymore

both worked fine in kde4.7 with openGL

after this two changes to xorg.conf kde4.8 is running openGL

unfortunately new_xorg w/openGL under KDE4.8 crash constantly with
applications, like Chrome for example, also it seems not
to like styles like QtCurve

anyway the new_xorg is pretty fast in both modes xrender/opengl in
comparism to the "old" xorg

using xrender it seems to be very stable, so I stay with it

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team
http://wipserver.matik.com.br
+55 11 4249.2222

Fortunately this quote is nonsense and it is absolutely not possible:
"People who do not break things first,
		will never learn to create anything"
Nobody can break a thing without creating it first.
Unfortunately Logic not, you have it or not, it simply is or not
Now, are you the lucky or the unlucky?