[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD KDE SC 4.8 features

Greg Rivers gcr+kde-freebsd at tharned.org
Thu Apr 12 18:10:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:

> Max Brazhnikov <makc at issp.ac.ru> writes:

>>> I tried 4.7 a couple months ago and couldn't get it working either.
>>> Does it work on Linux? Because I can't imagine anyone would ever
>>> release such broken code. Maybe we're missing something on FreeBSD.
>>
>> kdepim-4.8 does work on my Sabayon installation, but it is considerably
>> slower than kdepim-4.4 on Sabayon and FreeBSD (at least with my inbox -
>> about 4e4 mails and 100 folders). I've tried kdepim-4.8.1 on FreeBSD
>> once, I've managed to migrate my settings, but had no success with
>> mails migration. I didn't investigate the problem though.
>
> What I've been hearing in different lists, blog posts and IRC channels
> is that kdepim is getting better at each release, but it still
> occasionally eats babies. I haven't really tested it for quite some time
> (I've become a Gnus convert for mail and didn't use the rest of the
> applications besides KAlarm).
>
> I wonder if it makes sense for us to stay at 4.4 for a few more releases
> and avoid some hate mail.

With the release of 4.7.4 last January, korganizer lost the ability to
access contact and calendar data in local files.  That was rather painful.
At least one other person reported this[1], so I don't think it's just me.
I think there have been other regressions as well (e.g. knotes).

This, along with your observation[2] that kdepim44 is no longer maintained
makes me think we'd be better off moving forward with the new kdepim now.

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2012-March/012603.html
[2] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2012-February/012587.html

--
Greg Rivers