[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD KDE SC 4.8 features

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 12 01:53:43 UTC 2012

Max Brazhnikov <makc at issp.ac.ru> writes:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 14:26:18 +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, it will be available via deskutils/kdepim4, while the old one
>> > will be moved to deskutils/kdepim44. I have to say that my experience
>> > with the new one is simply bad.
>>
>> I tried 4.7 a couple months ago and couldn't get it working either. Does
>> it work on Linux? Because I can't imagine anyone would ever release such
>> broken code. Maybe we're missing something on FreeBSD.
>
> kdepim-4.8 does work on my Sabayon installation, but it is
> considerably slower than kdepim-4.4 on Sabayon and FreeBSD (at least
> with my inbox - about 4e4 mails and 100 folders). I've tried
> kdepim-4.8.1 on FreeBSD once, I've managed to migrate my settings, but
> had no success with mails migration. I didn't investigate the problem
> though.

What I've been hearing in different lists, blog posts and IRC channels
is that kdepim is getting better at each release, but it still
occasionally eats babies. I haven't really tested it for quite some time
(I've become a Gnus convert for mail and didn't use the rest of the
applications besides KAlarm).

I wonder if it makes sense for us to stay at 4.4 for a few more releases
and avoid some hate mail.