[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD KDE SC 4.8 features

Bengt Ahlgren bengta at sics.se
Thu Apr 12 21:56:44 UTC 2012

Greg Rivers <gcr+kde-freebsd at tharned.org> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>
>> Max Brazhnikov <makc at issp.ac.ru> writes:

>>> kdepim-4.8 does work on my Sabayon installation, but it is
>>> considerably slower than kdepim-4.4 on Sabayon and FreeBSD (at
>>> least with my inbox -
>>> about 4e4 mails and 100 folders). I've tried kdepim-4.8.1 on
>>> FreeBSD once, I've managed to migrate my settings, but had no
>>> success with mails migration. I didn't investigate the problem
>>> though.
>>
>> What I've been hearing in different lists, blog posts and IRC
>> channels is that kdepim is getting better at each release, but it
>> still occasionally eats babies. I haven't really tested it for quite
>> some time (I've become a Gnus convert for mail and didn't use the
>> rest of the applications besides KAlarm).
>>
>> I wonder if it makes sense for us to stay at 4.4 for a few more
>> releases and avoid some hate
>> mail. _______________________________________________
>
> With the release of 4.7.4 last January, korganizer lost the ability to
> access contact and calendar data in local files.  That was rather
> painful. At least one other person reported this[1], so I don't think
> it's just me. I think there have been other regressions as well
> (e.g. knotes).

Since then I found a workaround for korganizer: you can do "open" in the
file menu to open a local .ics file, or start with "korganizer <file>"
on the command line.  That seems to completely bypass the non-working
akonadi stuff.  Not ideal, but works for now.

kaddressbook is not working for me anymore - can't save new entries -
but I have not tried very hard either.

> This, along with your observation[2] that kdepim44 is no longer
> maintained makes me think we'd be better off moving forward with the
> new kdepim now.

I'm inclined to agree, but I also value stability a lot.  I am heavily
depending on korganizer at work.

> [1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2012-March/012603.html
> [2] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2012-February/012587.html

Bengt