[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE 4.6.1 Problems"Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache"

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 30 12:42:10 CEST 2011

On Sunday 27 March 2011 18:26:43 Ralf Folkerts wrote:
> the other day I updated my System which incl. the Update to KDE 4.6.1.
> did follow the Instructions in UPDATING. When I ran "startx" after the
> Update I did get the KDE Destop, but then it froze (i.e. it didn't react
> to any Key pressed, the mouse didn't work; ctrl-alt-f1 didn't take me
> the Console). However, ctrl-alt-del did work and reboot the System. I
> then moved ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 out of the way and tried again, as I
> thought that some settings were incompatible. Also cleared /var/tmp
and
> /tmp. However, same result.
>
> My ~/.xinitrc contains
>
> /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde4
>
> to start KDE.

please, move your .xinitrc away and run startx to ensure xorg is working
properly (as it went through lots of updates recently)
if yes, try running kde via kdm:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-
wm.html#X11-WM-KDE-DETAILS
if you still have no luck, try installing gnome (`pkg_add -r gnome2`) -
and NOT another desktop environment - and see if that works

also, attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and your Xorg.conf

> First in this file are several Warnings re. non-XDG-compliant Files:

they are ok

> Then there are lots of warnings re. locking-problems:

they are ok, but a little strange. i'll check them out

> QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we
thought
> it was ':1.6'

i'll check this too

> Would be cool to get a hint how to track this problem...

also attach your /etc/rc.conf please
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.