[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE 4.6.1 Problems"Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache"

Ralf Folkerts ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Wed Mar 30 21:01:50 CEST 2011

Hi Alberto,

thank you very much for the reply!

Am 30.03.2011 12:42, schrieb Alberto Villa:
> On Sunday 27 March 2011 18:26:43 Ralf Folkerts wrote:
>> the other day I updated my System which incl. the Update to KDE 4.6.1.
>> did follow the Instructions in UPDATING. When I ran "startx" after the
>> Update I did get the KDE Destop, but then it froze (i.e. it didn't react
>> to any Key pressed, the mouse didn't work; ctrl-alt-f1 didn't take me
>> the Console). However, ctrl-alt-del did work and reboot the System. I
>> then moved ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 out of the way and tried again, as I
>> thought that some settings were incompatible. Also cleared /var/tmp
> and
>> /tmp. However, same result.
>>
>> My ~/.xinitrc contains
>>
>> /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde4
>>
>> to start KDE.
> please, move your .xinitrc away and run startx to ensure xorg is working
> properly (as it went through lots of updates recently)
> if yes, try running kde via kdm:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-
> wm.html#X11-WM-KDE-DETAILS
> if you still have no luck, try installing gnome (`pkg_add -r gnome2`) -
> and NOT another desktop environment - and see if that works
>
> also, attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and your Xorg.conf

I did test-run Gnome again (by activating "gnome-session" and
commenting-out the startkde in my .xinitrc). And - got the same effect I
get with KDE. It does run a while longer than KDE until it bombs out but
it will. During my initial "Tests" I just "activated" Gnome, startx,
started firefox/thunderbird, did a few things and then exited from gnome...

So, as you suspected, there must be something else wrong on my System.

I nevertheless will attach the Xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log; maybe you see
something (however, I didn't change the Xorg.conf after the recent
Update and the System did work fine before) that's wrong.

>> First in this file are several Warnings re. non-XDG-compliant Files:
> they are ok
>
>> Then there are lots of warnings re. locking-problems:
> they are ok, but a little strange. i'll check them out

Thanks! I probably should check if gnome produces the same messages?

>> QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we
> thought
>> it was ':1.6'
> i'll check this too
>
>> Would be cool to get a hint how to track this problem...
> also attach your /etc/rc.conf please

Will now start to check which ports got updated during my recent update
(me Idiot did clean the portmaster-backup-packages; so will have to use
portdowngrade and see if I find the culprit...

Sorry for the noise; will now check (might well take until this weekend)
if I can solve it. Will post success/failure here, just in case...

Cheers,
_ralf_