[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.6.1 Problems"Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache"

Ralf Folkerts ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Sun Mar 27 18:26:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

the other day I updated my System which incl. the Update to KDE 4.6.1. I
did follow the Instructions in UPDATING. When I ran "startx" after the
Update I did get the KDE Destop, but then it froze (i.e. it didn't react
to any Key pressed, the mouse didn't work; ctrl-alt-f1 didn't take me to
the Console). However, ctrl-alt-del did work and reboot the System. I
then moved ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 out of the way and tried again, as I
thought that some settings were incompatible. Also cleared /var/tmp and
/tmp. However, same result.

My ~/.xinitrc contains

/usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde4

to start KDE.

I then removed all "kde*" and installed fresh by Installing the kde4
Meta-Package. However, it still didn't work. I then redirected the
Output of startkde into a Logfile.

First in this file are several Warnings re. non-XDG-compliant Files:

kbuildsycoca4(1851) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType
in "/home/ralf/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-png.desktop" is
not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).

Then there are lots of warnings re. locking-problems:

startkde: Starting up...
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kded(1878)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to
guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kded(1878)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this
system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kglobalaccel(1884)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate
lock to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially
impossible. :(
kglobalaccel(1884)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup,
this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
No outputs have backlight property
kcminit(1888)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to
guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kcminit(1888)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this
system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought
it was ':1.6'
kded(1878)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
ksmserver(1890)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock
to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
ksmserver(1890)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup,
this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
kded(1878) PowerDevilUPowerBackend::brightness:
org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.brightness failed
kwin(1891)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to
guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kwin(1891)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this
system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.

Following a load of these messages it seems X11 dies - but does not
display the console but stays in Graphics-Mode; when I connected to the
machine through ssh I saw there was no xorg running, as was no
KDE-Program :-(

When googling for this I did get some hits - but when I wanted to look
into the Details I ended up in some other thread :-(

Does anyone have an Idea what these errors might be caused by? Any
hints? Or would I have to rebuild all KDE4 with DEBUG?

Btw: System is FreeBSD-8.2-STABLE amd64.

Would be cool to get a hint how to track this problem...

MTIA, cheers,
_ralf_