[kde-freebsd] Re: Desktop effects suspended -- KDE4-4.5.1

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Fri Nov 12 17:34:10 CET 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:02:13 +0300, Mike Barnard wrote:

>> I found
that a new version of the nvidia driver was released a few weeks back
and am testing that out - 260.19.12. It seems to support additional GLX
extensions so I am hoping it behaves better with KDE.

> My VGA card
is an Intel Q45 SVGA controller. I opted to upgrade to KDE 4.5.3, but I
still have the same problem. When I open Kontact, Kmail, Kaddressbook,
Knode, Kmail, Xorg consumes 90%+ of the CPU and the remaining 9-10% is
taken by the application.

> To add to it, since I have an extended
desktop, my windows tend to take on an overlay of other windows: for
example, If I have Firefox and Dolphin open, when I switch to firefox
from Dolphin, then firefox has the contents of dolphin overlaying it. If
I move the mouse around, I can see my web page, but it quickly gets
overlay by the other open windows. Moving the window from one desktop
and back sorts it out but just for a while...

> If I suspend
compositing, all is well. I can work with all applications, including
Kontact with no problem.

> Any pointers on this?
>
> --
> Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one
in
> a million chances happen 99% of the time.

Mike,

Two things I found that helped for me in the NVIDIA world are:

1)
Disable the BLUR effect.

2) Choose a different window decoration other
than Oxygen.

The other random thing I found was that KNEMO is a CPU
killer but that doesn't sound like what you are seeing.

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl