[kde-freebsd] Re: Desktop effects suspended -- KDE4-4.5.1

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 17:02:13 CET 2010

> I found that a new version of the nvidia driver was released a few weeks
> back and am testing that out - 260.19.12.  It seems to support additional
> GLX extensions so I am hoping it behaves better with KDE.

My VGA card is an Intel Q45 SVGA controller. I opted to upgrade to KDE
4.5.3, but I still have the same problem. When I open Kontact, Kmail,
Kaddressbook, Knode, Kmail, Xorg consumes 90%+ of the CPU and the remaining
9-10% is taken by the application.

To add to it, since I have an extended desktop, my windows tend to take on
an overlay of other windows: for example, If I have Firefox and Dolphin
open, when I switch to firefox from Dolphin, then firefox has the contents
of dolphin overlaying it. If I move the mouse around, I can see my web page,
but it quickly gets overlay by the other open windows. Moving the window
from one desktop and back sorts it out but just for a while...

If I suspend compositing, all is well. I can work with all applications,
including Kontact with no problem.

Any pointers on this?

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.