[kde-freebsd] Building kde4 with kde3 installed still supported?

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Sat May 22 10:28:46 CEST 2010

On 05/21/10 22:26, Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:33:38 +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
>> - Is kde4 supposed to build with kde3 present?
>> - Is kde4 supposed to build with qt3 present but no kde3?
> Kde4 ports are supposed to build with qt3, kdelibs3 and kdebase3 at least on
> 8-STABLE (probably, I should add "at least on my box" :). I still have one
> kde3 dependent port, so until it gets ported to kde4 I try to maintain
> compatibility. After then I think we start deprecating kde3 and qt3 ports,
> cause I'm the last from kde@, who is interested in kde3 ports.

Ok. I just had a look if I could get rid of kde3 and maybe even qt3: I
have no problem getting rid of desktopbsd-tools-1.6_5 and kphone-4.2_5.
k9copy-1.0.4_7, kaffeine-0.8.7_7, and koctave-0.70_4 can be replaced
with multimedia/k9copy-kde4, multimedia/kaffeine-devel, and
math/qtoctave, I guess. I have found nothing to replace
kmastermind-2.2_6 and pdfedit-0.4.1_5, but they are not important. That
leaves k3b-1.0.5_5 and twinkle-1.4.2_4: For k3b, there is an qt4 alpha,
but no port of it. Twinkle is really the only SIP phone that works for
me (I have not really checked recently) -- there is no qt4 port, yet.

I need kdelibs3 as long there is no k3b replacement and qt3 as long as
Twinkle is not ported to qt4. I guess I could get rid of all the other
kde3 ports.

>> I got used to moving away all headers from qt-3.3.8_12 before
>> portupgrading any kde4 port, but for the latest kde4 build that was not
>> enough.
>>
>> For example, the problem I reported in
>> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2010-May/008330.html was
>> libkgetcore.so.5.0.1 from net/kdenetwork4 linking against libqgpgme.so.0
>> from kdepim-3.5.10_7.
> Sorry, missed your mail. Please test the patch attached. Apply it to
> deskutils/kdepimlibs4, rebuild kdepimlibs4 and build kdenetwork4.

I tried to build deskutils/kdepimlibs4 patched, but I only got:

In file included from
/usr/local/include/boost/function/detail/prologue.hpp:17,
                  from /usr/local/include/boost/function.hpp:24,
                  from
/usr/local/include/boost/iterator/transform_iterator.hpp:10,
                  from
/usr/local/include/boost/algorithm/string/iter_find.hpp:17,
                  from
/usr/local/include/boost/algorithm/string/split.hpp:16,
                  from
/usr/ports/deskutils/kdepimlibs4/work/kdepimlibs-4.4.3/gpgme++/defaultassuantransaction.cpp:29:
/usr/local/include/boost/function/function_base.hpp:27:50: error:
boost/type_traits/composite_traits.hpp: No such file or directory

>> Anecdotal: During the last big portupgrade, I got so frustrated with
>> multiple recent gnome related ports not building with security/openssl
>> installed, kde3 not building due to security/openssl installed, kde4 not
>> building due to kde3 installed, and so on. Earlier, I tried to
>> investigate fixes or at least report these problems, but this time I
>> have not even kept track due to the amount of fiddling involved -- and I
>> have always been following UPDATING. I guess it is time to learn how to
>> set up a ports tinderbox and stop worrying...
> Tinderbox has one drawback -- it does not allow to test ports in "dirty"
> environment :)

Yeah, that is the point. I am starting to doubt if investigating port
builds in a dirty environment is really worse it.

Thanks for your help. I will continue to report kde4 build failures with
kde3 installed as long as you do not tell me that you got tired of
fixing these.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik