[kde-freebsd] kde4 Response

David Johnson djohnson at ics.com
Wed May 13 18:53:22 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 10:56:52 pm Kent Stewart wrote:
> I have a new 7.2 system and since kde-4 came on the CD, I installed it. I
> do most of my stuff from a konsole window but the response is terrible. It
> takes 5-7 seconds, at times, to respond to characters that I have typed and
> to accept the <cr>. I would like to use kde-4 but this response is not
> acceptable. What could be wrong?
>
> I don't want to uninstall the ports, reinstall everything but using kde-3
> and then find out that it is an x-window problem.
>
> I do a lot of work from a console out side of kde and need moused to paste
> in a console.

Is this on a new system, or did you upgrade from a KDE3 system? If the latter,
you might have some KDE3 configuration files left over that could be
interfering. I would delete .kde* from your home directory, to see if that
makes any difference.

p.s. To find out if it is an x-window problem, just install a lightweight
window manager like fluxbox. Try using konsole in fluxbox without the full
KDE4 desktop.

--
David Johnson