[kde-freebsd] kde4 Response

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed May 13 21:46:48 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 09:53:22 am David Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 May 2009 10:56:52 pm Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I have a new 7.2 system and since kde-4 came on the CD, I installed it. I
> > do most of my stuff from a konsole window but the response is terrible.
> > It takes 5-7 seconds, at times, to respond to characters that I have
> > typed and to accept the <cr>. I would like to use kde-4 but this response
> > is not acceptable. What could be wrong?
> >
> > I don't want to uninstall the ports, reinstall everything but using kde-3
> > and then find out that it is an x-window problem.
> >
> > I do a lot of work from a console out side of kde and need moused to
> > paste in a console.
>
> Is this on a new system, or did you upgrade from a KDE3 system? If the
> latter, you might have some KDE3 configuration files left over that could
> be interfering. I would delete .kde* from your home directory, to see if
> that makes any difference.

It was a brand new system. Miwi pointed out last night that kde-4 requires hal
and dbus, which was not running. I enabled them in my rc.conf and that solved
part of the problems. However, if I have multiple tasks running in their
individual konsoles, each konsole seems to get 2 second, 100% shares. This
makes using the machine very clunky and much slower.

I have kde-3 on a similar machine. Both have 7.2-stable cvsuped to the same
time and a current set of ports. The 2 x Xeon 2.4GHz cpus are far more
responsive. The kde-4 machine is a new Intel duo with 3.16 GHz cpus and is
the exact opposite of being fast and smooth. In a bad comparison, kde-3 is
responsive like XP and kde-4 is much worse than Vista.

Topaz was a used Intel server with new SATA HDs and started out with
FreeBSD-7.1 and an earlier version of kde-4. It didn't last long before I
downgraded to kde-3.

> p.s. To find out if it is an x-window problem, just install a lightweight
> window manager like fluxbox. Try using konsole in fluxbox without the full
> KDE4 desktop.

I have all of the packages that I normally build as I update them on topaz,
the kde-3 machine. I am thinking really hard about doing a pkg_delete -a and
install kde-3 from the packages. I depend on koffice and it says that it only
runs on kde-3.

I also depend on the es and en keyboard layouts and instead of defaulting to
the en layout, it switches to es on occasions, which makes some commands
difficult. The irritation factor is just too high with kde-4 :).

I have a few problems with x-windows (7.4) and if kde-3 doesn't work, I will
try fluxbox. I have used kde since I started using FreeBSD in the version 2.8
era. I understand it.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart