[kde-freebsd] Qt 4.5 and GNU iconv

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Apr 6 10:06:11 CEST 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 10:46:24 pm David Naylor wrote:
> > > I've been trying to get Qt4.5 to behave properly with libiconv and it
> > > just doesn't.  My best understanding is that, under linux, glibc
> > > provides all the iconv functionality and that, somehow, libiconv and
> > > glibc differ in their implementation and thus it breaks Qt (or Qt
> > > handles them differently).

At least in Qt 4.4 -- the last I studied extensively, as someone else has done
the Solaris 4.5 port this week -- it would go looking for GNU iconv or other
iconv and the difference is hidden in QTextCodec. If there's iconv, an
additional .so is produced and codecs behave as plugins; otherwise a number
of codecs are compiled in to QtCore.

So up until recently it did work. You don't say what the nature of "behave" is
though -- does it not compile? Not run?

> > So which one is implemented incorrectly, libiconv or glibc? If Qt assumes
> > glibc, which almost by definition means Linux only, then a bug should be
> > filed with Nokia to turn off iconv support for all non-Linux systems.

The traditional difference is

       size_t iconv(iconv_t cd,
                    char **inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft,
                    char **outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);

in some implementations (UNIX98 standard?), inbuf is a const char **.

--
Adriaan de Groot, KDE quality team, KDE4-Solaris
  http://solaris.kde.org/