[kde-freebsd] Qt 4.5 and GNU iconv

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 19:18:45 CEST 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 10:06:11 Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> At least in Qt 4.4 -- the last I studied extensively, as someone else has
> done the Solaris 4.5 port this week -- it would go looking for GNU iconv or
> other iconv and the difference is hidden in QTextCodec. If there's iconv,
> an additional .so is produced and codecs behave as plugins; otherwise a
> number of codecs are compiled in to QtCore.

This is about what I have found out from my research.  I see little difference
in the treatment between glibc and gnu iconv in QIconvCodec though...  From
what I can see Qt 4.4 (in FreeBSD ports) does use gnu iconv.

> So up until recently it did work. You don't say what the nature of "behave"
> is though -- does it not compile? Not run?

With Qt 4.5 (with gnu iconv) everything does compile fine except instead of
rendering text everything is in square.  i.e. instead of showing text a
square is rendered (the same thing kwrite does when the font doesn't support
the given glyph?, except for all texts).

Sorry but I didn't take a screenshot of it but can do should you require
one :-)

Do you have Qt 4.5 working with gnu iconv (aka libiconv) under solaris?