[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.1 slowdowns

Hannes Hauswedell list_kde-freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Tue Sep 2 21:24:08 CEST 2008

I am experiencing so many performance problems, I dont even know where to
start :(

Certain things are almost always slow:
- opening config dialog for any kde-app

Other things slow down randomly:
- application startup
- menus
- kmail in general
- konqueror in general

Also closing applications doesnt actually close them (open
konqueror/kmail/kate and close it, then ps to see its still there), so memory
consumption goes up after a while.

Sometimes things just become faster again on their own. Sometimes I close all
apps (and kill them after that to make sure they are gone), and everything is
fast again.

Some slowdowns are visible to top, i.e. I shortly see kded4 using about >60%
CPU. Other slowdowns are not reflected by cpuload, as you described...

Kwin seems to be one of the things which work quite well for me. The
Performance is quite good even with effects...