[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.1 slowdowns

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 2 20:30:21 CEST 2008

Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 21:15:30 Kris Moore wrote:
>> Has anybody else noticed weird slowdowns in KDE 4.1?
>>
>> Several of our users are reporting it, and I've seen it here as well.
>> It seems like sometimes KDE will just take a LONG time to start
>> processes, or startf programs. "top" doesn't show anything using CPU,
>> so I know the systems aren't busy.
>>
>> A good example would be when using a program which runs kdesu, 95% of
>> the time it works perfectly, but occasionally i'll run kdesu, and it
>> can take 45 seconds to a minute to even bring up the dialog, when it
>> normally takes less than a second. (this is on a dual-core system,
>> with nothing else running on it)
>
> I noticed a huge memleak in kwin the other day, causing my system to
> slowdown and swap. Haven't managed to reproduce this yet though.
>
> Andy

I'm don't think in this case that its a mem leak, I still show almost
all of my memory available. Whats weird, is that this is only occurring
when KDE itself tries to launch a process / program.

For example, I have a firefox icon in kmenu, or desktop. At random
times, I'll click the icon, and it'll just sit there, without launching
at all. However, if I have konsole up, I can run firefox manually, and
it starts / exits just fine. The weird thing is that it'll go ahead and
start firefox up after a few minutes in some cases. (No errors or
anything, it just starts minutes later) Its almost as if KDE is waiting
for a call, or some dbus request to finish before starting the application.

Few more details about our setup:

KDE 4.1 (latest from ports)
FreeBSD 7-Stable
ULE Scheduler

Aside from that, nothing too special. KDE 3.5.x never had this problem
on 7-Stable.

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software