[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.1 slowdowns

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 2 21:41:47 CEST 2008

Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
> I am experiencing so many performance problems, I dont even know where to
> start :(
>
> Certain things are almost always slow:
> - opening config dialog for any kde-app
>
> Other things slow down randomly:
> - application startup
> - menus
> - kmail in general
> - konqueror in general
>

> Also closing applications doesnt actually close them (open
> konqueror/kmail/kate and close it, then ps to see its still there), so memory
> consumption goes up after a while.
>
> Sometimes things just become faster again on their own. Sometimes I close all
> apps (and kill them after that to make sure they are gone), and everything is
> fast again.
>
> Some slowdowns are visible to top, i.e. I shortly see kded4 using about >60%
> CPU. Other slowdowns are not reflected by cpuload, as you described...
>
> Kwin seems to be one of the things which work quite well for me. The
> Performance is quite good even with effects...

So, maybe this isn't just something I've done wrong here. I keep
thinking that maybe something is wrong with the dbus implementation with
the conversion from dcop in KDE 3. It almost seems at times like KDE is
having trouble keeping its communications going properly, so when I
click on the desktop to launch an app, whatever handler is assigned to
to the app launch isn't getting the notification right away. Backend
problem maybe?

BTW, some good news. I've tested the NVIDIA 177 driver beta out here,
and it does work with KDE4 a LOT better, you can run opengl apps while
composting is enabled again, and performance seems much better.

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software