[kde-freebsd] bsd.qt.mk, upcoming qt-4.4.1, etc.

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Thu Jun 19 19:02:01 CEST 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 03:51:13 am Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> Before I go futher with kde4 ports and freebsd ports, I want to know your
> opinion:
>
> 1) Is anybody has other solution or satisfied with current situation?
>
> 2) does it make sense to introduce QT_COMPONENTS_BUILD_and_RUN? (I'm 50/50)
>
> 3) rename  QT_COMPONENTS_RUN to QT_RUN, etc.?  ( it's shorter, I like it)

Another solution is to fix the documentation on how to use QT_COMPONENTS. If
ports properly use the _build suffixes, then there is not a problem. (I've
fixed a few instances of this in my own workspace, but not all). An example
of usage in the Porter's Handbook would be good. I would like to see comments
in bsd.qt.mk too.

> There are several other questions not directly related to this work, but
> I'd like to hear answers from you:
>
> 4) why not to add qt4-sql-plugins to QT_COMPONENTS for the sake of
> consistency?

This also brings up an issue I found last night. Assistant depends on
qt4-sqlite-plugin. It builds and runs without it, but you get runtime
warnings and no documentation. Instead of making it a component however, it
should be a separate dependency.

I'm not sure about adding plugins to the component list. I think they should
be options for the qt4-sql port, with sqlite on by default.

> 6) separate Uitools from qdesigner? This will affect on 4-5 ports in
> freebsd portstree and free them from qdesigner.

Yes it should be separate, as it's a runtime library. Isn't it already in
area51 though?

> 7) not of great importance -- switch qt4 to USE_BZIP2? (now qt4 zipped
> sources is more than 100Mb)

Sounds fine by me.

> I'd like to finish with this before qt4-4.4.1 release to not multiply
> essences.

News from this morning: 4.4.1 has been delayed two weeks. Should be released
in the middle of July.

--
David Johnson