[kde-freebsd] bsd.qt.mk, upcoming qt-4.4.1, etc.

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Thu Jun 19 12:51:13 CEST 2008

Dear qt4 ports hackers/maintainers,

Current implementation bsd.qt.mk allows to use _build and _run suffixes for
items in QT_COMPONENTS, nonsuffixed items are treated as build and run
dependencies.
Half of qt4 dependent ports (the total number of qt4 ports is about one
hundred) doesn't respect such switches, which leads to slightly bloated
dependency list, mainly by build tools like qmake, uic, lupdate/lrelease (from
linguist component) and even by qdesigner (if port want Uitools).
Several ports don't specify QT_COMPONENTS at all, bringing dependency on full
qt4 installation.

I've submitted ports/123362 which fixes dependencies on  qmake, moc, rcc, uic,
but it sounds more reasonable to have QT_COMPONENTS split on
QT_COMPONENTS_BUILD and QT_COMPONENTS_RUN. I've reworked bsd.qt.mk  (it looks
simpler now, imho) and qt4 ports in this sense, and have successfully built
all qt4-ports on my tinderbox.

Before I go futher with kde4 ports and freebsd ports, I want to know your
opinion:

1) Is anybody has other solution or satisfied with current situation?

2) does it make sense to introduce QT_COMPONENTS_BUILD_and_RUN? (I'm 50/50)

3) rename  QT_COMPONENTS_RUN to QT_RUN, etc.?  ( it's shorter, I like it)

There are several other questions not directly related to this work, but I'd
like to hear answers from you:

4) why not to add qt4-sql-plugins to QT_COMPONENTS for the sake of
consistency?

5) does anybody have plan to repocopy qt4-sqlite-plugin to qt4-sqlite2-plugin
and qt4-sqlite3-plugin to qt4-sqlite-plugin? (there's note on
http://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE4/QT4)

6) separate Uitools from qdesigner? This will affect on 4-5 ports in  freebsd
portstree and free them from qdesigner.

7) not of great importance -- switch qt4 to USE_BZIP2? (now qt4 zipped sources
is more than 100Mb)

I'd like to finish with this before qt4-4.4.1 release to not multiply
essences.

P.S. Also ports committer wanted to help with committing to freebsd ports :)