[kde-freebsd] [QUESTION] KDE3 and its own prefix

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 4 15:57:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:25:13 +0200
"David Naylor" <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see that currently with the porting efforts of KDE4 that it gets
> stuck into its own prefix (i.e. ${PREFIX}/kde4).  As I understand KDE4
> is going to be the default (of KDE3/4) since it will (hopefully by
> 4.1) be a superset of KDE3.  Of course some kde3 programs will not
> make it to kde/qt 4 and will need to be supported.
>
> I have looked through kdelibs and I think I have found a way to
> cleanly install kde3 into its own subprefix's: i.e
> ${PREFIX}/bin/kde3
> ${PREFIX}/sbin/kde3
> ${PREFIX}/lib/kde3
> ${PREFIX}/share/kde3
>
> This involves adding the appropriate --datadir, --bindir and --libdirs
> to CONFIGURE_ARGS and hacking kstandarddir.cpp in kdelibs/kdecore to
> support the change.  With those changes it should handle 99% of all
> cases.

Should as in you think that's normal or as in 99% of you qt/kde apps
are working right?

 [ .. ]

> If the first part (about having kde3 in its own subprefix) is a
> desired outcome then I can create a patch and have it (mostly) tested
> by weekout??? [Just don't hold your breath]

There was a discussion about this AFAIR on this list in the last month
and AFAIR that's the idea. Please do test and post here both the patch
and your test details.

Tnx,

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B