[kde-freebsd] [QUESTION] KDE3 and its own prefix

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Jun 5 00:32:40 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 15:57:16 Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:25:13 +0200
>
> "David Naylor" <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I see that currently with the porting efforts of KDE4 that it gets
> > stuck into its own prefix (i.e. ${PREFIX}/kde4).  As I understand KDE4
> > is going to be the default (of KDE3/4) since it will (hopefully by
> > 4.1) be a superset of KDE3.  Of course some kde3 programs will not
> > make it to kde/qt 4 and will need to be supported.
> >
> > I have looked through kdelibs and I think I have found a way to
> > cleanly install kde3 into its own subprefix's: i.e
> > ${PREFIX}/bin/kde3
> > ${PREFIX}/sbin/kde3
> > ${PREFIX}/lib/kde3
> > ${PREFIX}/share/kde3
> >
> > This involves adding the appropriate --datadir, --bindir and --libdirs
> > to CONFIGURE_ARGS and hacking kstandarddir.cpp in kdelibs/kdecore to
> > support the change.  With those changes it should handle 99% of all
> > cases.
>
> Should as in you think that's normal or as in 99% of you qt/kde apps
> are working right?
>
>  [ .. ]

How would this work with apps that share the same name over 3 -> 4?

> > If the first part (about having kde3 in its own subprefix) is a
> > desired outcome then I can create a patch and have it (mostly) tested
> > by weekout??? [Just don't hold your breath]
>
> There was a discussion about this AFAIR on this list in the last month
> and AFAIR that's the idea. Please do test and post here both the patch
> and your test details.
>

> Tnx,

I don't think it's a good idea to break stuff that is already fairly
unmaintained and under siege of breakage at this time. It's supposed to be
the stable stuff. I believe kde4 should be installed at a seperate place,
including a .kde4 and ldconfig dir order being changed if necessary at
startx. People are going to be running kde3/kdelibs3 for a while to come.

Dan