[kde-freebsd] [QUESTION] KDE3 and its own prefix

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 14:25:13 CEST 2008

Hi,

I see that currently with the porting efforts of KDE4 that it gets
stuck into its own prefix (i.e. ${PREFIX}/kde4).  As I understand KDE4
is going to be the default (of KDE3/4) since it will (hopefully by
4.1) be a superset of KDE3.  Of course some kde3 programs will not
make it to kde/qt 4 and will need to be supported.

I have looked through kdelibs and I think I have found a way to
cleanly install kde3 into its own subprefix's: i.e
${PREFIX}/bin/kde3
${PREFIX}/sbin/kde3
${PREFIX}/lib/kde3
${PREFIX}/share/kde3

This involves adding the appropriate --datadir, --bindir and --libdirs
to CONFIGURE_ARGS and hacking kstandarddir.cpp in kdelibs/kdecore to
support the change.  With those changes it should handle 99% of all
cases.

Just two minor issues: 1) since everything will be installed under
${PREFIX}/share/kde3 the menu entries will not be shared between KDE3
and KDE4/gnome.  This should not be an issue with kde but could cause
problems with 3rd party ports as a user may wish to use it with KDE4
(it could be solved, but not simply?) 2) ${PREFIX}/bin/kde3 will need
to be added to the search path for KDE4, I do not know how to do it
(any hints :)

What if we made kdelib3 live nicely with kde4 and had the rest of the
components conflict?  Since KDE4 should (hopefully) have feature and
program parity with KDE3 this would allow missing, unported, 3rd party
ports to work in KDE4.  And/or could we have all 3rd party ports
conflict with their relevant pairs (between KDE3 versions and KDE4
versions).  This will just make life much easier [but may tern out as
being unnecessary).

If the first part (about having kde3 in its own subprefix) is a
desired outcome then I can create a patch and have it (mostly) tested
by weekout??? [Just don't hold your breath]

Regards

David