[kde-freebsd] KDE4 is out, I'm back, let's get cracking

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Jan 14 20:22:12 CET 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 08:30:27 am Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Step 1 is deciding what to do about that nice boulder that Novell^WKDE
> rolled in our path: prefixes. You cannot build KDE4 in same prefix as
> KDE3. Period. You cannot easily build KDE4 either if KDE3 is in
> /usr/local and if Qt3 is in /usr/local and KDE4 is supposed to end up
> somewhere in /usr/local. I'd like to hear about experiences from people
> who already built large parts of KDE4 on systems with KDE3 installed -
> how much effort and hackery do we need to make things build with leaving
> Qt3 where it is? Would it be worthwhile to just make a clean cut and
> move Qt3, Qt4 and KDE3 into their own subdir below /usr/local after all?
> I am prepared to do it, if need be (I suppose nobody wants to go down
> the CONFLICTS road).

I've had no problems with Qt4/KDE4 living alongside Qt3/KDE3 ports, but I am
installing the latter to their own sub-directories. I put Qt4
into /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.x.y (which is Trolltech default), and KDE4
into /usr/local/kde4. I am also using kdesvn-buildrc. Without that, you would
need to set some paths.

Suffixing everything with a -qt4 or -kde4 would be unwieldly in the extreme.
So I suggest bending hier slightly and installing under /usr/local/qt4
and /usr/local/kde4. At such a time when kde4 becomes the preferred KDE< we
can then install it to the usual locations. I recall arguing doing something
similar back in the Qt2 -> Qt3 days.

--
David Johnson