[kde-freebsd] Status of KDE4 on FreeBSD

Martin Wilke miwi at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 25 00:17:19 CET 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:44:03PM +0100, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> I've been away, watching only the commits to area51 now and then. At FOSDEM I
> mostly fiddled with OSOL thingies, but fielded a few FreeBSD questions as
> well, along the lines of "how well does KDE4 work on FreeBSD right now?" I
> answered "ports are in preparation, which means it 'just works'; certainly
> the basic desktop is in place with audio and web browsing and stuff." Is that
> at all accurate?
>

> Do systemsettings and system info give sensible answers at all?

Hi Adriaan

Last week I've Blogged about the KDE4 status on FreeBSD.
(http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2008/02/21/freebsd-kde4-status/)

Generally KDE4 works ok here, but we have a Big list of open tasks.

Some Open Issues:
  * The checks cmake does against library versions (xine/samba/qca2) is broken.
       (example: Xine: xine-lib v1.1.10 was found on your system.
        This version is known to have problems when playing short
	sounds. Consider upgrading to version 1.1.9 or above.)
   * kopete Crash with video session (we need here someone with a webcam :P)
   * The network folder in kopete does not connect to ssh/ftp$
   * kcd crashes at start
   * The Ctrl key does not seem to work like it should (US Keyboardlayout).
   * System Monitor crashes
   * Desktops Effects cause X11 to crash (with nividia)
   * IPv6 borken
   * konqueror crashes on JavaScript
   * konqueror takes a long time to load html pages
   * klauncher dumps core sometimes

Actually, I'm working on the switch to USE_CMAKE and doing the first
build tests on a tinderbox to set the correct dependencies. Yesterday
I started to write the first parts on the new bsd.kde(4).mk framework.
The proposal for it will come later.

- - Martin