[kde-freebsd] Status of KDE4 on FreeBSD

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Feb 24 23:33:50 CET 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> I've been away, watching only the commits to area51 now and then. At FOSDEM
> I mostly fiddled with OSOL thingies, but fielded a few FreeBSD questions as
> well, along the lines of "how well does KDE4 work on FreeBSD right now?" I
> answered "ports are in preparation, which means it 'just works'; certainly
> the basic desktop is in place with audio and web browsing and stuff." Is
> that at all accurate?

The basics seem to work for me. I haven't built every related port though. I
can log in, use audio, browse the web, etc.

> Do systemsettings and system info give sensible answers at all?

I currently do not have any of the ports on my system now. I cleared them all
out to work on 3.5.9. But as I recall, many system settings modules worked,
but a few would segfault. I did not try system info.

I'll put 3.5.9 on hold, as they take an extraordinarily long time to build,
and I don't think anyone other than me is interested in it. (At least no one
ever responded to me about it). I'll build a few KDE4 ports today, and see
what I find.

p.s. I will be travelling for the next few weeks, with only a Linux laptop to
keep me company, so I will not have a chance to do much with ports for a
while.

--
David Johnson