[kde-freebsd] Prefix decisions redux

Tilman Linneweh arved at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 15 16:07:20 CET 2008

* Andy Fawcett [2008-02-15 15:17]:
> > If it is possible i would vote for the (include|lib|bin)/kde3
> > solution.  But /usr/local/kde3 would be ok too.
>
> I think we need to do this, to make life easier in the long run.
>
> The one thing that concerns me is that we do have users who don't start KDE
> from kdm scripts, or even run a KdE desktop at all. Having the binaries in a
> non-standard path (either KDE3 or 4) is going to cause them problems.

Indeed. But if we want have both in /usr/local/bin we have to add 3 or 4 to the binary names.

> If we can have /usr/local/bin for both, and /usr/local/include/kde(3|
> 4) /usr/local/lib/kde(3|4) etc, I think that's probably for the best. I'll
> admit I have no current idea if this will work, but I have a week free to
> help towards any solution.
>
> I'd also do same with Qt3 and 4, while we're at it.

I think there is currently no problem with Qt 3 vs. 4. I don't think we need to change anything.

BTW, another thing we might want to pursue during the 3.5.9 upgrade is a consolidation of bsd.kde.mk. E.g.
- Remove the "CVS" bits. I think they aren't used for anything at the
  moment.
- Move the QT3 stuff to bsd.qt.mk.

Comments?