[kde-freebsd] Prefix decisions redux

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 15:18:25 CET 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008 15:38:28 Tilman Linneweh wrote:
> * Michael Nottebrock [2008-02-15 14:08]:
> > KDE 3.5.9 is going to be released sometime next week and I'm on
> > standby to prepare the ports for it.
> >
> > However, we're still in ports slush until FreeBSD 7.0 goes gold, so
> > I probably will not be able to commit it straight away. This gives
> > us an opportunity to move KDE 3 to a different prefix as part of a
> > regular update. Regrettably, I have not been able to participate in
> > or even follow up on very well on the KDE 4 porting effort, so I am
> > asking those who are working on it right now:
> >
> > Judging from the experiences gained so far, do you think KDE 4 can
> > be made to work (with reasonable effort) with KDE3 remaining in
> > /usr/local?
>
> We have spent some effort to make this work, and thanks to David Johnson
> it kind of works. But debugging the cmake library path ordering problems
> is definetly not fun.
>
> > If the answer is no, possible choices are to just shove everything
> > into /usr/local/kde3 or to keep the general PREFIX intact but
> > setting libdir, includedir and perhaps bindir, so libraries,
> > includes and binaries end up in ${PREFIX}/include/kde3 and so on,
> > which is supported by KDE 3's buildsystem, but very rarely used and
> > thus prone to exhibit a few glitches.
>
> Previously i didn't like to touch KDE3 just to make the KDE4 integration
> easier. But with the 3.5.9 upgrade, I agree, we have an opportunity to
> move KDE3 out of the way, so that we may even put KDE4 into /usr/local.
>
> If it is possible i would vote for the (include|lib|bin)/kde3 solution.
> But /usr/local/kde3 would be ok too.

I think we need to do this, to make life easier in the long run.

The one thing that concerns me is that we do have users who don't start KDE
from kdm scripts, or even run a KdE desktop at all. Having the binaries in a
non-standard path (either KDE3 or 4) is going to cause them problems.

If we can have /usr/local/bin for both, and /usr/local/include/kde(3|
4) /usr/local/lib/kde(3|4) etc, I think that's probably for the best. I'll
admit I have no current idea if this will work, but I have a week free to
help towards any solution.

I'd also do same with Qt3 and 4, while we're at it.

Andy

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap at fruitsalad.org