[kde-freebsd] Prefix decisions redux

Tilman Linneweh arved at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 15 14:38:28 CET 2008

* Michael Nottebrock [2008-02-15 14:08]:
> KDE 3.5.9 is going to be released sometime next week and I'm on
> standby to prepare the ports for it.
>
> However, we're still in ports slush until FreeBSD 7.0 goes gold, so
> I probably will not be able to commit it straight away. This gives
> us an opportunity to move KDE 3 to a different prefix as part of a
> regular update. Regrettably, I have not been able to participate in
> or even follow up on very well on the KDE 4 porting effort, so I am
> asking those who are working on it right now:
>
> Judging from the experiences gained so far, do you think KDE 4 can
> be made to work (with reasonable effort) with KDE3 remaining in
> /usr/local?

We have spent some effort to make this work, and thanks to David Johnson
it kind of works. But debugging the cmake library path ordering problems
is definetly not fun.

> If the answer is no, possible choices are to just shove everything
> into /usr/local/kde3 or to keep the general PREFIX intact but
> setting libdir, includedir and perhaps bindir, so libraries,
> includes and binaries end up in ${PREFIX}/include/kde3 and so on,
> which is supported by KDE 3's buildsystem, but very rarely used and
> thus prone to exhibit a few glitches.

Previously i didn't like to touch KDE3 just to make the KDE4 integration
easier. But with the 3.5.9 upgrade, I agree, we have an opportunity to
move KDE3 out of the way, so that we may even put KDE4 into /usr/local.

If it is possible i would vote for the (include|lib|bin)/kde3 solution.
But /usr/local/kde3 would be ok too.

regards tilman

PS: I have about 2 weeks of semester holidays left, were i can spend
some time on helping/testing stuff.