[kde-freebsd] Prefix decisions redux

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 15 14:08:09 CET 2008

KDE 3.5.9 is going to be released sometime next week and I'm on standby
to prepare the ports for it.

However, we're still in ports slush until FreeBSD 7.0 goes gold, so I
probably will not be able to commit it straight away. This gives us an
opportunity to move KDE 3 to a different prefix as part of a regular
update. Regrettably, I have not been able to participate in or even
follow up on very well on the KDE 4 porting effort, so I am asking those
who are working on it right now:

Judging from the experiences gained so far, do you think KDE 4 can be
made to work (with reasonable effort) with KDE3 remaining in /usr/local?

If the answer is no, possible choices are to just shove everything into
/usr/local/kde3 or to keep the general PREFIX intact but setting libdir,
includedir and perhaps bindir, so libraries, includes and binaries end
up in ${PREFIX}/include/kde3 and so on, which is supported by KDE 3's
buildsystem, but very rarely used and thus prone to exhibit a few glitches.

Cheers,

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org