[kde-freebsd] More changes needed for building net/kdenetwork4 version 4.1.85

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 04:45:29 CET 2008

After installing the kdenetwork4 package that I built in my tinderbox,
I noticed some things that need to be addressed.

The main issue is an apparent change in what library Kopete uses to
connect to MSN.  While this library was previously in the Kopete
codebase, it now uses the external libmsn package (maintained at
net-im/libmsn in the ports tree) to enable the MSN protocol (now
called WLM - Windows Live Messenger?).  Assuming that we want to
include the MSN connect by default like it was before, we need to add
a dependency on net-im/libmsn to the kdenetwork4 port.

Unfortunately, the libmsn version in the ports tree is not recent
enough to build Kopete properly.  Based on what the Kubuntu folks have
done with their recent KDE 4.2 beta 2 packages, it looks like the
libmsn version should be at least 4.0-beta1-svn77.  I've been able to
build the latest libmsn 4.0 beta 2 and have it work with the Kopete
build, so we can hopefully use the libmsn 4.0 beta 2 tarball instead
of rolling something right from subversion.  Attached patch is what I
used to build the libmsn 4.0 beta 2 port.

To use libmsn in kdenetwork4, I've had to add the line:
BUILD_DEPENDS=  ${LOCALBASE}/lib/libmsn.so.0.1.0:${PORTSDIR}/net-im/libmsn

to the kdenetwork4 Makefile.  I don't know why the libmsn library
isn't getting picked up by ldconfig, but as a result I can't get the
LIB_DEPENDS line to work properly in the Makefile (and I'm guessing
that the LIB_DEPENDS line is the one that actually should be used - it
worked with the libmsn 3.2 version that was in the ports tree...).

There are also some other dependent libraries that the kdenetwork4
port is looking for.  Do we want to include any of these by default or
and config options for them?  The tinderbox build log shows:

-- The following OPTIONAL packages could NOT be located on your system.
-- Consider installing them to enable more features from this software.
+ libnxcl, 1.0 or higher: NX X compression client library
<http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/freenx/trunk/freenx-client/nxcl/>
Needed to build Krdc with NX support
+ libortp, 0.13 or higher: oRTP provides an API to send rtp packets
<http://www.linphone.org/index.php/eng/code_review/ortp>
Needed to build Jingle support in Kopete.
+ Decibel: KDE framework for real-time communication <http://decibel.kde.org/>
Used by the Kopete telepathy protocol.
+ GMP: The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library <http://gmplib.org/>
Needed to build KGet Torrent support.
+ WebKitKde: Webkitkde libraries and header files <>
Webkitkde is necessary to compile support for WebKitKde.
+ XMMS: X MultiMedia System development libraries <http://www.xmms.org>
Used by the Kopete nowlistening plugin to support the XMMS player.
+ libmeanwhile: A library for protocol support for connection to
Sametime servers <http://meanwhile.sf.net>
Required for the Kopete Meanwhile protocol

"Decibel", "GMP" and "XMMS" were also part of the 4.1.3 version and
were not enabled in the tinderbox build log, and I didn't see any
config options to enable them.  Looks like "libxcl", "libortp",
"WebKitKde" and "libmeanwhile" are new to the 4.1.85 version.

And the good news to go along with all this?  The Jabber plugin
connects to Google Talk without any problems again and once the libmsn
dependency is added the WLM (formerly MSN) plugin connects to MSN
without any problems!

Hope all this helps.  The 4 hours or so I had today to use the KDE 4.2
beta 2 installation was very encouraging.  Felt much snappier than
4.1.x and the small visual tweaks that I noticed were all welcome
changes.  Looking forward to KDE 4.2 on FreeBSD.

Matt