[kde-freebsd] More changes needed for building net/kdenetwork4 version 4.1.85

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 24 16:38:00 CET 2008

On December 23, 2008 10:45:29 pm Matt wrote:
> After installing the kdenetwork4 package that I built in my tinderbox,
> I noticed some things that need to be addressed.

This is great, Matt! I am co-ordinating efforts with makc et al to get this
and your other changes into area51!

> The main issue is an apparent change in what library Kopete uses to
> connect to MSN.  While this library was previously in the Kopete
> codebase, it now uses the external libmsn package (maintained at
> net-im/libmsn in the ports tree) to enable the MSN protocol (now
> called WLM - Windows Live Messenger?).  Assuming that we want to
> include the MSN connect by default like it was before, we need to add
> a dependency on net-im/libmsn to the kdenetwork4 port.
>
> Unfortunately, the libmsn version in the ports tree is not recent
> enough to build Kopete properly.  Based on what the Kubuntu folks have
> done with their recent KDE 4.2 beta 2 packages, it looks like the
> libmsn version should be at least 4.0-beta1-svn77.  I've been able to
> build the latest libmsn 4.0 beta 2 and have it work with the Kopete
> build, so we can hopefully use the libmsn 4.0 beta 2 tarball instead
> of rolling something right from subversion.  Attached patch is what I
> used to build the libmsn 4.0 beta 2 port.

Would you be prepared to adopt this port in the meantime, so we can ensure it
is kept current? I am testing it now.

> To use libmsn in kdenetwork4, I've had to add the line:
> BUILD_DEPENDS=  ${LOCALBASE}/lib/libmsn.so.0.1.0:${PORTSDIR}/net-im/libmsn
>
> to the kdenetwork4 Makefile.  I don't know why the libmsn library
> isn't getting picked up by ldconfig, but as a result I can't get the
> LIB_DEPENDS line to work properly in the Makefile (and I'm guessing
> that the LIB_DEPENDS line is the one that actually should be used - it
> worked with the libmsn 3.2 version that was in the ports tree...).
>
> There are also some other dependent libraries that the kdenetwork4
> port is looking for.  Do we want to include any of these by default or
> and config options for them?  The tinderbox build log shows:

>-- -- The following OPTIONAL packages could NOT be located on your system.
> -- Consider installing them to enable more features from this software. +
> libnxcl, 1.0 or higher: NX X compression client library
> <http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/freenx/trunk/freenx-client/nxcl/>
> Needed to build Krdc with NX support
> + libortp, 0.13 or higher: oRTP provides an API to send rtp packets
> <http://www.linphone.org/index.php/eng/code_review/ortp>
> Needed to build Jingle support in Kopete.
> + Decibel: KDE framework for real-time communication
> <http://decibel.kde.org/> Used by the Kopete telepathy protocol.
> + GMP: The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library <http://gmplib.org/>
> Needed to build KGet Torrent support.
> + WebKitKde: Webkitkde libraries and header files <>
> Webkitkde is necessary to compile support for WebKitKde.
> + XMMS: X MultiMedia System development libraries <http://www.xmms.org>
> Used by the Kopete nowlistening plugin to support the XMMS player.
> + libmeanwhile: A library for protocol support for connection to
> Sametime servers <http://meanwhile.sf.net>
> Required for the Kopete Meanwhile protocol
>--

My initial answer is to say, provide a patch for adding optional componenents,
and we will add it in!

> "Decibel", "GMP" and "XMMS" were also part of the 4.1.3 version and
> were not enabled in the tinderbox build log, and I didn't see any
> config options to enable them.  Looks like "libxcl", "libortp",
> "WebKitKde" and "libmeanwhile" are new to the 4.1.85 version.
>
> And the good news to go along with all this?  The Jabber plugin
> connects to Google Talk without any problems again and once the libmsn
> dependency is added the WLM (formerly MSN) plugin connects to MSN
> without any problems!

Rock on!

> Hope all this helps.  The 4 hours or so I had today to use the KDE 4.2
> beta 2 installation was very encouraging.  Felt much snappier than
> 4.1.x and the small visual tweaks that I noticed were all welcome
> changes.  Looking forward to KDE 4.2 on FreeBSD.
>
> Matt

This sure does help! Keep up the great work!

Thomas

- --
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer
tabthorpe at FreeBSD.org	| http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe