[kde-freebsd] kdeutils3 build broken on HEAD..

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Sat Aug 16 16:29:47 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> [
>   Some history for das...
>
>   Additions of some (and not all) long functions have been
>   breaking ports that just perform cursory checks for a couple
>   of long functions and then think they have access to them
>   all.
> ]

KDE is wrong to do this, but I understand that this is a problem
nevertheless. The problem actually used to be worse back when gcc
would sporadically supply built-in versions of functions we didn't
have.

If there are particular missing functions whose implementation
would fix many ports, I'd be happy to see what I can do.  I could
also suggest dummy implementations of some of the functions that
could be put in a shim, and would be good enough to fool most
applications but not good enough to commit to libm.  Just let me
know what's needed.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to do much in the short term. I'm
flying to Toronto tomorrow, and I will be out of town for the next
two weeks, and likely busy after that.

The last time this issue was brought to my attention, the problem
port was also a part of KDE, by the way. It might be a good idea
to talk to the KDE developers about it so they don't keep
replicating the same mistake.