[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD Port: kde

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 21:44:52 CEST 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 21:53:57 Vincent wrote:

> > > Apologies to anyone offended.
> > >
> > > Was simply trying to help someone get KDE running on a FreeBSD system
> > > quickly, but I can see re-reading this morning that it did look a bit
> > > too much like a plug.
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned it's a perfectly valid post. Maybe that's based
> > on my impression that in (F)BSD-land there's less competition and
> > animosity between distros than in linux land. Saying "here's a pretty
> > darn good pre-packaged KDE 3.5.8 with FBSD 6.3 underneath" is good news,
> > generally.
>
> That is what I thought also, but I guess that is changing or has changed
> in the FreeBSD camp.  I recently posted a problem in this list trying to
> compile KDE4 on Dragonfly BSD, which is also a FreeBSD branch.

The difference here being, DF branched from FreeBSD in the 4.x days and we're
at 7.x now, (and 4.x has been "retired" a while), whereas PCBSD is based on a
currently supported FreeBSD release.

Generally, we'll help where we can, but DF is significantly different from
FreeBSD versions this day in many respects.

Andy

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap at fruitsalad.org