[kde-freebsd] FreeBSD Port: kde

Vincent vince.kde at crel.us
Sat Apr 19 20:53:57 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 04:17:29PM +0200, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Friday 18 April 2008 09:27:59 Tim McCormick wrote:
> > > I don't like this sort of usage of this list.
> >
> > Apologies to anyone offended.
> >
> > Was simply trying to help someone get KDE running on a FreeBSD system
> > quickly, but I can see re-reading this morning that it did look a bit too
> > much like a plug.
>
> As far as I'm concerned it's a perfectly valid post. Maybe that's based on my
> impression that in (F)BSD-land there's less competition and animosity between
> distros than in linux land. Saying "here's a pretty darn good pre-packaged
> KDE 3.5.8 with FBSD 6.3 underneath" is good news, generally.

That is what I thought also, but I guess that is changing or has changed
in the FreeBSD camp.  I recently posted a problem in this list trying to
compile KDE4 on Dragonfly BSD, which is also a FreeBSD branch.  The only
response I got was

    "We don't support DF here."

from Martin Wilke <miwi at FreeBSD.org>.

The subject was

    iconv_open failed and other errors compiling kde on bsd

I still have not gotten it to compile.