[kde-freebsd] turning threads off in OpenEXR by default

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Sun Oct 7 00:11:09 CEST 2007

On субота 06 жовтень 2007, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
= On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 23:22:44 -0400
= Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

= 	I think that you should use pkg-config like following.
=
= 	$ pkg-config --cflags OpenEXR
= 	-D_THREAD_SAFE -I/usr/local/include/OpenEXR
=
= 	$ pkg-config --libs OpenEXR
= 	-pthread -L/usr/local/lib -lIlmImf -lImath -lHalf -lIex -lz

Yes, ImageMagick uses OpenEXR like that. And the ImageMagick's /executables/
(such as display, convert, identify, etc.) are linked correctly.

But -- because perl does not have threads by default on FreeBSD -- PerlMagick
does not work. This is a known problem -- and not only with Perl. The only
solution for -stable is to not use -threads wherever possible... This is why
I'm asking, if it is, indeed, possible to turn multi-threading off in OpenEXR
by default.

Seems like it is... Please, make threading optional in the new version (1.6.0)
of OpenEXR port.

= 	And I'll update OpenEXR to 1.6.0.  Thanks for your remind.

The update will, probably, require splitting the port in two -- the ilmbase is
now released separately and contains libHalf, libIlmBase, libIlmMath. The
actual graphics library remains in OpenEXR.

By the time your e-mail arrived I almost finished the port of ilmbase. I'm
attaching it here -- only the pkg-plist may need re-verification. The port
needs to be committed together with the matching OpenEXR update.

The dependant ports may need to revisit their dependencies -- those, who need
only libHalf will need to depend on devel/ilmbase instead of the full-blown
OpenEXR, for example.

Yours,

	-mi