[kde-freebsd] Trouble with KMplayer

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Nov 8 02:27:45 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 01:54:09AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007 02:25:29 Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Does anybody know why KMPlayer hangs when I try to play *.ram
> > 	files?   mplayer handles there fine--at least in my music files.
> > 	But when I try to listen to files such as found as
> > 	"thewritersalamac.org", K/mplayer stops..  I set Konq to
> > 	realplay-10 and it plays.
> >
> > 	Anybody??
>

> .ram refers to (ancient term) "Real Audio Meta" file. It's a text file
> containing the actual media url(s). Looks like (k)mplayer doesn't support
> these, or maybe it doesn't support it because the media type is .smil
> (another container format) rather than merely .ra or .rv/.rm, the actual
> audio/video data files.
>
> It's been a loooooong time since I dabbled with Real, but I think a server
> admin would use ram files (and generate them at the server) for seperate
> streams, not for the container (smil). So they might be doing something a bit
> unusual at that website or mplayer doesn't like smil files at all.
>
> I tried: Neither a link to media content, nor a link to the .ram file, nor a
> link to the actual .smil file works with mplayer here. Maybe smil (or rather
> Real's smil) doesn't work at all in *mplayer. However, I think smil is really
> to be used over rtsp not over http (unlike ramgen/ram, IIRC that was one of
> the reasons to have ramgen), so perhaps that's what causes mplayer to not get
> it.
>
> Links used:
>
> http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/almanac/2007/11/07_wa and
> http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/almanac/2007/11/07_wa.ram
> http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/noads/almanac/2007/11/07_wa.smil
> (the latter is quoted from the .ram file)
>
> If you use the actual media link that's in the smil file, that works:
>
> [k]mplayer "rtsp://archivemedia.publicradio.org/5559/almanac/2007/11/07_wa.rm"
>
> Dan

	Thanks for checking into this.  (I thoughtt--and must've been
	*wrong*-- the [k]mplayer worked on anything/everything.  Awhile
	back I think this site was using .smil file; perhaps that was
	what worked.)  ...Fortunately, kmplayer does work for most A/V
	streams!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix