[kde-freebsd] Trouble with KMplayer

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Nov 8 01:54:09 CET 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 02:25:29 Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Does anybody know why KMPlayer hangs when I try to play *.ram
> 	files?   mplayer handles there fine--at least in my music files.
> 	But when I try to listen to files such as found as
> 	"thewritersalamac.org", K/mplayer stops..  I set Konq to
> 	realplay-10 and it plays.
>
> 	Anybody??

.ram refers to (ancient term) "Real Audio Meta" file. It's a text file
containing the actual media url(s). Looks like (k)mplayer doesn't support
these, or maybe it doesn't support it because the media type is .smil
(another container format) rather than merely .ra or .rv/.rm, the actual
audio/video data files.

It's been a loooooong time since I dabbled with Real, but I think a server
admin would use ram files (and generate them at the server) for seperate
streams, not for the container (smil). So they might be doing something a bit
unusual at that website or mplayer doesn't like smil files at all.

I tried: Neither a link to media content, nor a link to the .ram file, nor a
link to the actual .smil file works with mplayer here. Maybe smil (or rather
Real's smil) doesn't work at all in *mplayer. However, I think smil is really
to be used over rtsp not over http (unlike ramgen/ram, IIRC that was one of
the reasons to have ramgen), so perhaps that's what causes mplayer to not get
it.

Links used:

http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/almanac/2007/11/07_wa and
http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/almanac/2007/11/07_wa.ram
http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/noads/almanac/2007/11/07_wa.smil
(the latter is quoted from the .ram file)

If you use the actual media link that's in the smil file, that works:

[k]mplayer "rtsp://archivemedia.publicradio.org/5559/almanac/2007/11/07_wa.rm"

Dan