[kde-freebsd] qt3 and qt4

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Fri May 4 11:57:58 CEST 2007

On Thursday, 3. May 2007, makc wrote:

> The question is how to make qt3 and qt4 versions of one library coexisting
> with each other? Create a separate port which installs only headers and two
> ports which install shared libraries with different suffixes?

If you do think there are good reasons to keep both versions around for a
while (there are other applications in ports depending on qwt ... but not
many, I count two), I would suggest contacting the developers and work
together with them to resolve any name conflicts in a way that allows
everything to live in the same installation prefix, otherwise you will either
end up violating hier(7) and/or creating ports that require lots of patching
in every future port that needs to depend on them.

I realise that's not a very hands-on suggestion, but from experience I can
only advise against trying to fix planned obsolescence schemes all by
yourself, since it will usually only create more problems later.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org