[kde-freebsd] parallelizing the build of Qt, etc.

Mikhail Teterin mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Aug 23 17:27:37 CEST 2007

четвер 23 серпень 2007 11:19 до, Michael Nottebrock Ви написали:
> I really really really do not think that this should be the default.
> Consider that users of SMP machines, especially those running KDE, might
> appreciate having one cpu/core available for their desktop work while a
> portupgrade is in progress in the background. Jacking up the load to the
> possible maximum does not make for a smooth desktop experience.

The experience is just fine, actually. The actual load never rises to the full
number of processors -- because each job is throttled by I/O a little bit,
one needs to use -j NCPU+1 or even -j NCPU*2 to notice a hit. The experience
could be damaged by heavy disk-thrashing or video/sound issues, but the
compiler is not doing any of that.

The additional use of memory _could_ be an argument, but we've been passing
`-pipe' to the compiler (by default) since forever.

> >> I am certainly not going to do anything similar in the KDE or QT4 ports.

> > That's surely up to you, the maintainers.

> To clarify: What I am not going to do is to make something like this the
> default, unconditionally, for everybody. A switch for people interested
> in this is always possible. If you have patches for bsd.kde.mk /
> bsd.qt.mk which implement this and work for you, feel free to submit them.

There is at least one PR (with an anxious submitter) -- it is all in the
portmgr's hands at the moment.

If you think, a patch to bsd.{kde,qt}.mk could be committed faster, I'll look
into making one, but the subject is really not KDE-specific, so the right
place is bsd.port.mk...

Yours,

 -mi