D25084: Allow a Multiple instances to become Unique

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Nov 19 14:22:42 GMT 2019

dfaure added a comment.

  > Just speculating, if an app opens as multiple and then another instance tries to open as unique, it should reuse the existing one or merge?

  With a konsole state of mind, I can see how this would possibly make sense indeed.
  But it would break DBus-activation of unique applications (if it is ever possible to start one of those as "multiple").

  When you make a call to "org.kde.kmail" and kmail or kontact isn't running, then the org.kde.kmail.service file installed into the DBus services directory leads to DBus activation, i.e. this starts kmail, which then registers as org.kde.kmail (as expected!), which allows the DBus call to proceed.
  If instead, it would register as org.kde.kmail-1234 because there happens to be such a name on the bus already, then the call would fail.

  I admit that I don't know of an application which supports both Multiple and Unique, and which also provides a dbus service file for the activation feature.
  But this scenario makes me wonder if the magic that you have in mind should be in konsole itself instead of kdbusaddons, to avoid affecting other applications.

  I'm open to counter-arguments and counter-examples. Actually, do we know of any other app than konsole which supports both Multiple and Unique modes?

REPOSITORY
  R271 KDBusAddons