D20209: Add support for KBookmarkOwner to communicate if it has tabs open

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 14 10:55:25 BST 2019

dfaure added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> hallas wrote in kbookmarkowner.h:120
> Good point (both of them)
>
> What are our binary compatibility promises? Is //every// version of frameworks always binary backwards compatible? Or do we have a window every now and then where we can make source compatible changes but not binary compatible? I don't mind changing this to be using settings and getters, but that just makes this API stand out from the rest. All the other APIs in the class are virtual functions which should be overwritten by the actual owner. I know this does not argue against our binary compatible promise though :D

Every version of KF5 is source and binary compatible (just like Qt5).
The next time for a possible BC breakage will be KF6 (when Qt6 comes out), so not just yet.

Two alternative solutions:

- creating a KBookmarkOwnerV2 interface, deriving from KBookmarkOwner. This is a typical solution for extending interfaces, but it's somewhat cumbersome (ugly name, downcasting...).
- adding a getter/setter to another class where it would make more sense, maybe KBookmarkMenu? Would the app that you have in mind, have access to it?

REPOSITORY
  R294 KBookmarks