D13706: [KMoreTools] Enable installing tools via appstream url

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 25 14:16:04 UTC 2018

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Tried this out. It's a really great feature to support installation via the AppStream URL--the logical next step after an app has been recommended to you. I tried a few and installation worked perfectly via Discover. There are a few user-facing papercuts such as when the appstream URL isn't found, but that's not your fault.

  I'd like to see the missing AppStream URLs filled in for all the software in this list. There are currently some claring omissions, especially for KDE software (e.g. ksysguard) for which there is definitely an appstream ID available). For any software that doesn't have any AppStream information (and is therefore not visible or installable via Discover), I would actually advocate removing it from the list, and making the presence of AppStream data a pre-condition of inclusion--the reason being that otherwise an Install button can't be presented to the user. Entries without an Install button are just frustrating, tantamount to taunting them ("here's some cool software you could use; oh, sorry, can't actually install it lol")

  To find a program's appstream ID, you can do `appstreamcli search <search term>` to find that information on your system. There's a lot of missing data on an old distro like Neon; best to do this on a rolling release distro or a fixed-release distro with a recent release (e.g. Fedora 28 or Kubuntu 18.04) since the AppStream information is more likely to be up-to-date there. Alternatively, check out the sources, find the `<app name>.appdata.xml file` and find the ID there. If none exists, just default to using the desktop file name, which is what most distros currently do.

REPOSITORY
  R304 KNewStuff