D13706: [KMoreTools] Enable installing tools via appstream url

gregormi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 25 18:03:30 UTC 2018

gregormi added a comment.

  In D13706#282765 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13706#282765>, @ngraham wrote:

  > I'd like to see the missing AppStream URLs filled in for all the software in this list. There are currently some claring omissions, especially for KDE software (e.g. ksysguard) for which there is definitely an appstream ID available). For any software that doesn't have any AppStream information (and is therefore not visible or installable via Discover), I would actually advocate removing it from the list, and making the presence of AppStream data a pre-condition of inclusion--the reason being that otherwise an Install button can't be presented to the user. Entries without an Install button are just frustrating, tantamount to taunting them ("here's some cool software you could use; oh, sorry, can't actually install it lol")

  Hi Nate, thanks for reviewing.

  - I tried `appstreamcli ksysguard` and `appstreamcli ding`. Both do not yield a result. => I vote not to remove a program from this list just because it has no obvious appstream id (yet).
  - Programs which serve the same purpose should have a comment why they are in the list, like it was done with giggle ("// good for searching in history"). In such cases, for me it would be ok if there is no appstream id yet.
  - For me, it would be ok, if Nicolas does not have to search for all the missing appstream ids - except if you have fun to do it, Nicolas :-). The patch is a definite improvement to the current state and missing ids could also be added later incrementally.

REPOSITORY
  R304 KNewStuff