Pre-review CI

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Jul 29 16:00:19 BST 2018

Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2018, 13:15:10 CEST schrieb Bhushan Shah:
> Hello,
>
> So in previous email about staging repository I talked about pre-review
> CI [1]. After some time, we finally have some code in ci-tooling which can
> handle the pre-review CI for KDE repositories. And for initial pilot run
> we want to enable it for frameworks repositories.

Thanks for working on this, great to see this coming.

> We have several questions about this though,
>
> - Should we have seperate CI jobs per platform (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD,
>   Android) for review? or just 1 job which runs the builds across all
>   platforms?

1 job means one huge build log to look at, or? In that case I would prefer
separate jobs. Given review requests are prone to fail.

Other advantages of separate jobs: separate build job also are easier to
compare to non-review build jobs, I would assume. And having jobs separate
also means one gets results for any platforms, does not stop on the first
failing?

And one can see by the job overview already on which platform there was an
issue.

All that said though without having seen how a one-job-to-rule-them-all would
look like, and how the others. Any chance for some samples, please?

> - Should we send out comment for failure and success? Or is it easier to
>   figure out the console log link without the comment? See linked review
>   for example [1].

[1] -> [2] here.

What do you mean exactly by "send out comment for failure and success"? More
emails? (Please not). That example works fine with me, but not sure what the
alternative is?

Cheers and Thanks again for improving the review system
Friedrich